Special Items

What items need special disposal?

Did you know there are some items that cannot go in ANY of your carts?

It’s because they contain hazardous materials that require special disposal. Keeping these items out of your carts and sinks and toilets protects our land and water, and our health.

City of Livermore partners with other agencies to provide safe disposal options for its residents. Here are links to their sites for more information.

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Alameda County's free drop-off facility is located right here in Livermore.

The facility accepts paints, stains, thinners, pesticides and fertilizers, fluorescent lights, batteries, motor oil & auto fluids. Visit the County website for more information.

Bleach, aerosol can and spray cleaner


Use the re:source tool to find the most convenient place to dispose of medications and sharps.



We love our gadgets, but some of them can’t go in the curbside carts. Click here for what can go in your recycling cart. Use the re:source tool to find options for batteries, computers, monitors and other electronics.

Cell phone